Marco Slotboom specialises in EU and Dutch competition law as well as general EU law and international trade law.
Marco Slotboom has in-depth experience in European and Dutch competition law.
Clients – companies and individuals – frequently seek Marco to represent them in cartel investigations before the European Commission and the Dutch Competition Authority (ACM).
Marco regularly advises clients on sensitive and complex antitrust issues often relevant to taking strategic decisions involving leniency applications. He also has been counsel to many companies in complex multi-jurisdictional, EU and national merger control procedures.
In addition, Marco specializes in State aid, public procurement, EU agricultural law, free movement of goods and international trade law and has litigated many cases in the national courts and the European courts in Luxemburg.
He has worked for international and Dutch clients in many sectors: food products, fast moving consumer products, energy & utilities, financial services, information technology, manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, telecoms, transport & logistics, etc.
Marco is a member of the Amsterdam and Brussels bars.
- LLD, University of Leiden, 2005
- Diploma of Advanced European Legal Studies, College of Europe, Bruges, 1990
- JD, University of Leiden 1989
- MA, University of Leiden, 1987
Honors & Awards
Mr. Slotboom is recognized in his areas of practice. A selection of recent nominations includes Chambers Global (2014); Chambers Europe (2014); Legal 500 (2014).
- Mr Slotboom is co-chairman and lecturer of the Grotius course on competition law, a post doctorate course organized by law faculties of Dutch universities.
- He is correspondent for the Dutch competition journal Markt & Mededinging
- He has been a member of the advisory board on competition law of The Netherlands Bar Association from 1998 to 2012.
- representing number of clients before the European Court of Justice and the European General Court in Luxembourg in competition and trade matters.
- representing a number of clients before the Dutch administrative courts in competition matters.
- acting for a number of companies in cartel investigations carried out by the European Commission and the Dutch Competition Authority.
- representing a former CEO in cartel investigations carried out by the Dutch Competition Authority.
- defending a number of clients in private enforcement litigation before the Dutch civil courts.
- advising a bank consortium on the EU state aid rules.
- representing companies in merger control proceeding before the European Commission and the Dutch Competition Authority.
- representing a sugar producer in a court proceedings relating to EU agricultural law.
- advising a public transport company in relation to the grant of a transport concession under the EU public procurement rules.
Publications & Events
Mr. Slotboom is a regular speaker at conferences on competition law and state aid. He has written a large number of publications on EU and Dutch competition law, EU State aid law and international trade law.